Huzzah for Cranberries. They are pretty. AND they also happen to be low in saturated fats and cholesterol and high in Vitamin E and fiber. AND they are pretty. Did I mention they are pretty?
By far, my favorite thing to bake this time of year is my mom’s Cranberry Walnut Coffee-Cake. The flavors are sweet and the key is to use whole cranberry sauce so that the cake is sweet instead of tart. The other secret ingredient: sour cream which makes the cake very moist. And, like all my recipes, it’s EASY! I’ve had a few requests for this recipe, so enjoy! :)
Corey’s mom also sent me this appetizer recipe that sounds amazing. Pass on the cranberry love! What’s your favorite cran-recipe?
· ¾ cup whole cranberry sauce
· 1 16-oz brie round
· Zest of one orange
· 2/3 cup walnut pieces
· Crackers for serving
1. Preheat oven to 35o degrees F.
2. Remove top of rind from brie cheese using a serrated knife. Discard the rind.
3. Place the cheese cut side up on oven safe plate or bowl. Make sure the plate is large enough to accommodate melted cheese. Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and top with cranberry sauce. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is soft and warm. Sprinkle the top with orange zest and walnuts.
5. Serve immediately with crackers.
Other ideas for cranberry lovers: Use them in your wreaths, table centerpieces, etc. Get creative!